Saturday, November 15, 2008

5 weeks to go

I've been out this morning to buy stuff from a boat place. It feels like being a kid in lolly shop except its all a lot more expensive. Here's what I got myself:


1 x Hig vis workman's shirt - so I can be seen on the water
1 x workman's polaroid sunnies - much less expensive at $10 than the Oakley kind - also pretty cool looking
1 x 2m length of nylon rope - I feel like I should have it, without knowing what it's for
1 x roll of sealable rubber tape - for the paddles and minor repairs
1 x roll of all purpose duct tape - for major repairs
1 x fibreglass repair kit - for bolstering the middle of the kayak which has fallen in slightly - I'll do that tomorrow
2 x smoke flares
2 x red light flares
1 x plastic flag thing that can be seen by helicopters, satellites and god
1 x glow stick - for hard house kayaking once the ipod's installed
1 x emergency blanket - in case I get cold
1 x emergency mirror - for annoying people on the beach


I talked to the guys behind the desk and apparently we can hire EPIRBS and VHF radios which is great beacause the cost a bomb.

All that's left is to get an emergency collapsable paddle, marine charts, some lifejackets, funding, water holders, the kayak up to Byron and to start paddling. We're getting there. R

No comments: